Member Of:
Justia Lawyer Rating
Avvo Rating
Super Lawyers

Injuries in Someone Else's House

When someone visits another person's home, they may become injured because the person's home has been negligently maintained is in a dangerous condition. A person could become injured in another's home due to numerous factors, such as a negligently maintained structural or property conditions. Also, slipping and falling could occur if ice or snow has accumulated on the property. Any of these injuries can be serious and cause a financial burden on the victim. Injuries that occur on another person's property are a common basis for premises liability lawsuits.

Whether or not you are able to recover compensation from an accident on someone else's property depends upon your status on the property. Your status can be determined by the reason for your visit. An "invitee" is a person who has been invited to enter the premises for commercial or business purposes. The owner of the business or property has a duty to provide invitees with a certain level of protection and can be found legally responsible for an invitee's injuries if the owner knew or should have known about an unsafe condition and did not attempt to remedy the situation. Another status is a "licensee." A licensee is someone who visits another's premises for social or non-commercial purposes. For example, party guests are licensees. Property owners merely have a duty to protect licensees from dangers that they know are present. The final status is a trespasser. Property owners may not create dangers that cause injury to trespassers; however, they have no duty to protect unknown trespassers from injury. If the property owner is aware that trespassers regularly visit, a property owner must provide those trespassers with some level of protection from hazards. If you have encountered an accident on someone's property and sustained an injury, you should contact an attorney. An attorney can help you determine what your status was on someone's property when you were injured and to what compensation you may be owed.

If you have been injured on another's premises from a slip and fall accident, by falling from an open window, or have been struck by falling, loose object, contact Massachusetts Attorney Cappetta. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. The best way to determine if you are entitled to compensation is to contact an attorney as soon as an injury occurs. You need an attorney who will be on your side and fight for your rights in a settlement negotiation a trial. Attorney Cappetta is not afraid to go to battle in a trial to ensure that you get what you are owed for your injuries. Contact Attorney Cappetta today.